Friday, January 27, 2017
Tuesday, May 3, 2016
“Second National Level Workshop on techniques in bioactive metabolites from marine and other bioresources” during 25-27, May 2016
The Department of Marine Biotechnology, AMET deemed to be University is conducting a 3 days “Second National Level Workshop on techniques in bioactive metabolites from marine and other bioresources” during 25-27, May 2016. The workshop will provide hands on the technical experience such as extraction, purification and bioactivity evaluation of bioactive metabolites from marine and other resources. This workshop would provide a basic introduction to the drug discovery programs. The Brochure and registrations forms are enclosed herewith. Kindly help us to disseminate the information by forwarding these brochure and registration forms at your circle.
Monday, February 8, 2016
About the Department
The Department of Marine Biotechnology AMET University with a long history of teaching, training and research is offering short term training programs and project works in Biotechnology and Marine Biotechnology for both undergraduate and postgraduate students . The Department is currently running postgraduate and research programs viz., M.Sc Marine Biotechnology, M. Phil., Marine Biotechnology, M.Phil., Marine Microbiology and Ph. D., in Marine Biotechnology. The Department is actively engaged in research on Marine Microbial Diversity, Enzyme technology, Secondary metabolites from marine organisms, Marine Bioproducts and Bioprocess Technology.
Project works/Summer training
The Department provides complete laboratory facilities and personalized guidance for B.Sc., B.Tech., M. Tech., M.Sc. and M. Phil project works and summer training mainly in the following areas.
Marine microbial ecology
Sea food microbiology
Marine Industrial products
Purification of bioactive metabolites
Biochemistry of natural products
Microbial secondary metabolites
Quorum sensing in bacteria
Mutation of microbes
Horizontal gene transfer
Other areas of student interest
For both projects and trainings the fee is Rs. 5000 per month. Projects less than two months are not permitted. But summer projects are offered for a period of one month. The fee includes the cost of all chemicals and other consumables. No accommodation facilities assured but assistance will be provided. However, food will be provided at a very nominal cost, on special request. Fee can be paid at the time of joining either as cash or DD in favor of The Registrar, Academy of Maritime Education and Training payable at Chennai.
Students will be assisted to publish their completed project works in scientific journals and communicate in national and international conference/symposia. All project works done in our Laboratory would be made as publications with the contribution of respective students.
How to apply?
Interested students may obtain the application from the Head, Department of Marine Biotechnology, AMET University in the following address or through e mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) and the same need to be forwarded officially by their Head of the Department. Registrations are restricted for 15 participants only per batch. Kindly contact us and make your registrations well in time with advance payments. Since 2009, we have provided project and training guidance to 110 selected candidates only from India and abroad. We impart quality training and research experience by taking minimum number of candidates per batch
Dr M Jayaprakashvel
Head i/c, Department of Marine Biotechnology
Academy of Maritime Education and Training
(AMET-Declared as Deemed to be University u/s 3 of UGC Act 1956)
135, East Coast Road, Kanathur, Chennai-603112
Wednesday, July 15, 2015
DEPARTMENT OF MARINE BIOTECHNOLOGY
Academic Events Organized
1. National level conference on Advances in Marine Bioscience & Technology (Current status, Prospects & Challenges) March 14, 2014. A fully research focused conference in which 5 invited plenary lectures by Eminent Scientists and 42 contributory papers from students and researchers (oral and poster presentations) were delivered.
2. National Science Day Celebrations 2014February 28, 2014: Being organized as a Students Event with a theme Fostering Scientific Temper, more than 54 students from different parts of the Country have participated and a total of 6 student competitions conducted and prizes distributed.
3. Third National Level Workshop on Marine Biotechnology for Undergraduate Science Students-2014 (TNWMBT) February 26-27, 2014. A total of 38 selected students were offered training in advanced techniques in Marine Biotechnology.
4. National Level Seminar on Prospects of Marine Biotechnology for Industry and StakeholdersFebruary 28, 2013 was organized by the Department in commemoration of National Science Day Celebrations 2013. A total of 256 participants from various Industries and 23 Educational Institutes across the Country have participated in this event. Three lead lectures and one key note address were delivered in this event.
5. National Level Workshop on Marine Enzyme Technology for Undergraduate Science Students: 6-8, March 2013. This is third year consecutive hands on training program especially for undergraduate Science Students in order to ignite the scientific thrust among youngsters to undertake science in their higher studies. 32 meritorious students from 12 different Institutions across the Country have participated in this three days program. A training Manual has been published by the Department and provided to all the participants.
6. Second National Level Workshop on Marine Biotechnology for Undergraduate Science Students. Batch I: February 16-18, 2012 & Batch II- February 23-25, 2012. A total of 41 UG students (in two batches) have participated and benefitted in this national level hands on training program.
7. National Level Workshop on Techniques in Bioactive molecules from Marine and other Bioresources Batch I: 07-11, November 2011 & Batch II- 12-16, December 2011. In this hand’s on training program, four internal participants and 51 external participants (in two batches) from different parts of the country have participated.
8. National Level Seminar on Carbon Management in the Current Global Scenario: October, 20, 2011. Five key note lectures, three contributory papers and 17 student presentations were delivered in this Seminar. More than 170 participants from different Institutions have participated.
9. National Level Students seminar on Biotechnology in Daily Life March 10, 2011.Four lead lectures were presented. Two plenary lectures as inaugural lecture and valedictory address were also delivered. Six student participatory events were organized in parallel. 27 students from other institutions and 15 students from our University have participated.
10. National Level Orientation Program for Scientific Writing and Research Publications. February 4, 2011. Seven lectures were presented on various facets of scientific writing and research publications by leading researchers, publishing experts and consultants. More than 50 participants from other institutions and 40 internal participants have attended the program.
11. National Level Orientation Program for Designing Doctoral Research, February 3, 2011. This program has aimed to introduce the philosophy of research to young researchers. Nine lectures were delivered by eminent researchers across the nation. More than 70 participants from other institutions and 70 internal participants have attended the program.
12. One day State Level Seminar on AIDS awareness, December 3, 2010. Seminar was inaugurated by Prof. S. NiranjaliDevaraj, Head, Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Madras and Dr. N. Mathivanan, Assistant Professor, CAS in Botany, University of Madras delivered the valedictory address. 26 students from various parts of Tamil Nadu have participated in seminar contest, poster presentation and film narration contest and winners were awarded. One abstracts book comprising articles from students on AIDS Awareness was also released during the seminar.
13. One day public awareness program on World AIDS Day, December 1, 2010: Students of our Department have created awareness on AIDS among public by distributing pamphlets, displaying posters and explaining the relevance of world AIDS day.
14. National Level Workshop on Marine Microbial Technology, organized during 23-27 of August 2010. Workshop was inaugurated by Dr. N. Mathivanan, Assistant Professor, CAS in Botany, University of Madras in which 38 students from various parts of the country have participated. Prof. Sultan Ahmed Ismail, Head, Dept. of Biotechnology, New College has delivered the Valedictory address. One Laboratory manual was also released during the workshop.
15. National Level Workshop on Marine Biotechnology for Undergraduate students organized during 23-27 of February 2010. Workshop was inaugurated by Dr. S. Vincent, Member Secretary, TNSCST in which 26 students from different parts of the country have participated and benefited by the training. One Laboratory manual was also released during the workshop.
National Science Day Celebration 2015
28 Feb, 2015
National level Seminar On “Recent Trends in Bioprospecting of Marine Resources: Opportunities and Challenges (NSBM- 2015),
Feb 28th 2015
DEPARTMENT OF MARINE BIOTECHNOLOGY
Event 1: Breast Cancer Awareness campaign for coastal area women in KanathurDate : October 16, 2014
Breast cancer is one of the deadly disease commonly found among both men and women, but it is most commonly found affecting the women of age above 30. Worldwide October month is recognized as the month for Breast Cancer Awareness. The Department Of Marine Biotechnology, AMET University has organized One day public awareness program on Breast Cancer Awareness, October 16, 2014. Post graduate students and research scholars have voluntarily involved in this awareness program held on 16.10.2014. Students of our department have created awareness on Breast Cancer among public by distributing pamphlets to the local rural area women and explaining the scientific information about the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of Breast Cancer.
Ø Distribution of Breast Cancer awareness pamphlets (in Tamil) to the local rural area women.
Ø Interactive discussion with rural area women about the scientific information on breast cancer.
Ø Students were provided with the pink badges as a symbol of commemoration of Breast Cancer awareness.
Ø Display of banner on Breast Cancer awareness was all made.
Department Of Marine Biotechnology
Event 2: Advanced Techniques in Biological sciences for school students in Kanathur, Date : October 15, 2014.
The Department Of Marine Biotechnology, AMET University has organized One day Visit to nearby Government School on October 15, 2014. Post graduate students and research scholars have voluntarily involved in this program held on 15.10.2014. Students of our department have actively participated in this program by demonstrating few experiments practically and explaining the scientific principles behind each experiments.
Ø Interactive discussion with the students about the basic principles was made.
Ø Students visualized the live demonstration done by the department members.
Ø They were also made clear about the doubts which they had.
Ø Display of banner on importance of science and advanced technique.
The students as well as teachers learnt the advanced techniques.
DEPARTMENT OF MARINE BIOTECHNOLOGY
THE EXTENSION / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES OF THE STUDENT
Event 1: One day public awareness program on World AIDS Day, December 1, 2010
World AIDS day has been commemorated on December 1, every year globally. The Department of Biotechnology AMET University has organized One day public awareness program on World AIDS Day, December 1, 2010. Post Graduate students and research scholars have voluntarily involved in this awareness program held on 01-12-2010 in which they prepared charts on the most needed information on AIDS and displayed the same display to public. Students of our Department have created awareness on AIDS among public by distributing pamphlets to the local community and explaining the relevance of world AIDS day and scientific information about treatment and prevention of AIDS.
1. Display of AIDS Awareness posters at University Campus
2. Distribution of AIDS awareness pamphlets (in Tamil) to the local community
3. Discussion with local community about the scientific information on AIDS
4. Providing AIDS Day badges to the local community as a symbol to commemorate World AIDS Day.
5. Display of information banner at University entrance for public view
Event 2: Coastal Sand Dunes Clean Up programmes
The Department of Biotechnology is intensively doing research works on coastal sand dune ecosystem. Coastal sand dunes are relatively untouched and neglected marine ecosystem which needs immediate and intensive attention. We have been frequently collecting soil and plant samples for the research works on aspects such as microbial ecology, bioactive phytochemicals etc. Hence, we have conducted two Coastal Sand Dunes Clean Up programmes during 2010-2014 (24-08-2010; 07-03-2013).
1. Removal of plastic and other wastes in the coastal sand dune ecosystem
2. Creating awareness by having discussion with coastal community on the importance of coastal sand dune ecosystems and the need to protect them.
Event 3: Distribution of Tree Saplings to general public and school kids
The Department has commemorated National Science Day on 28-02-2013 in which as part of the event, we have created awareness among general public and school kids about the importance growing trees. More than 300 tree saplings were distributed to general public and school kids. School students have also planted few tree saplings in University premises.
Tuesday, February 4, 2014
1. Green Card System: The University introduced green card system to facilitate student progress with the participation of mentors and parents.
2. Industry and Institute Visits: All our students are provided the opportunity to visit major Industries and Institutes in India every semester with financial assistance by AMET University. This improves the student’s exposure.
3. Special attention of unique research initiatives by students in the form of financial assistance.
4. Full time Research Fellowships are offered to meritorious full time Ph.D., scholars
5. Internships are made as a part of curriculum to improve the employability and industry exposure.
6. Communicative English & soft skills training programmes are made as a part of curriculum and final year students are provided with special attention.
7. Luminous Club and Journal Club: The Department of Biotechnology as innovative initiative is fostering the interpersonal, co-curricular and extracurricular potentials of students through the activities of Luminous Club and Journal Club. Some of the major activities undertaken are
a. Student seminars
b. Quiz Programmes
d. Group Discussions
e. Orientation for Overseas and Higher Education Fellowships
f. Special Orientation for competitive exams like CSIRJRF NET
g. Special Lectures by subject experts
h. Orientation for Employability
National Science Day Celebrations 2014: FOSTERING SCIENTIFIC TEMPER
National Science Day Celebrations February 28, 2014- A student event for all UG students B.Sc., and B.Tech Registration Fee Rs. 150
National Science Day is one of the very important events in India being celebrated on 28th of February every year as a token of honor to the invention of the Raman Effect by the legendary Indian physicist, Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman on the same day in the year 1928. Sir CV Raman was awarded and honored with the Nobel Prize for Physics in the year 1930. Every year National Science Day is being celebrated with a specific theme. This years theme is Fostering Scientific Temper.
Last year, the Department of Biotechnology conducted a National Level Seminar on National Science Day 2013 with a overwhelming participation of more than 250 participants all over India. This year we are proposing to celebrate the National Science Day on 28-02-2014 as a Undergraduate Students Events to justify the theme.
Hence, Department of Biotechnology, AMET University cordially invites Undergraduate students (B.Sc./B.Tech) in Life Sciences such as Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Industrial Biotechnology etc. Key note lectures will be delivered by eminent scientists and UG students are encouraged to participate in the competitive events.
For Registrations Contact
Prof. Dr. A. Jaffar Hussain
Special Officer & Dean, Biotechnology
Department of Biotechnology
AMET University (u/s3 of UGC Act 1956)
135, ECR, Kanathur, Chennai-603112
E. mail: email@example.com
Prior registration is essential to participate in the events. Last date for registrations is 25-02-2014. Registration Fee Rs. 150 can be paid on the spot by registered participants.